This season we’ve been answering a getting to know us a bit more questionnaire and for this post it’s Grace’s (our Kids and Young People Rep’s) turn in the hotseat!
After our theme of Dreams and Nightmares we thought we’d try something different which we have not done before. So we had a search online for a compendium of questions that we have answered that tell you a little bit more about ourselves, first up here’s Jo’s…
1. What are five things that make you most happy?
2. What would be your dream job and why?
To be a writer or a dancer (think I would have liked to have been a dancer as a child).
3. List five things that you are passionate about:
Building good relationships with those that I love
Visiting art galleries and museums
Going to the theatre and watching good films
4. What are your pet peeves or annoyances?
Rude ignorant & intolerant people
Drunken loutish behaviour
Bitchiness and Sarcasm
Violence and threatening behaviour
Snobbishness and Pretentiousness
That looks like quite a long list actually!!
5. If you were an animal what would you be and why?
If I was an animal then I would like to be a vegetarian owl! One because I’m vegetarian, two because they are nocturnal and naturally so am I most probably! They are also seen as wise, learned creatures and have an association with books so the book connection also resonate with me!
6. If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
If I was really rich then I would have a few houses dotted around where I could stay for different parts of the year, I would love to have a house in the West Coast Highlands of Scotland for the Summer and live maybe somewhere in Southern Europe (Italy, France, Spain or Portugal) for the Winter.
7. If you could choose to have a superpower what would it be and why?
The ability to travel through time would be quite cool, as long as you could escape back to safety if you ended up in a bad place or time such as in a war! If not time travel then flying would be fun to get to places quickly and see a different perspective of the world.
8. If you could invite three or more guests from history and or the present to a dinner party who would you invite and why? Do you think your guests would get on well or not?
• The first guest that I would like to invite would be Arthur Miller. We share a birthday so that could be a good starting point but I would love to talk about his politics and his writing routine and methods as I am a great fan of his work.
• Cleopatra would be an interesting guest, we have this glamorous association with her today but it would be interesting to see how much of this is true or not.
• Jane Austen (I was going to say Emily Bronte but I think she would have been too introverted as she was supposed to be painfully shy) I think Jane Austen would be very humorous and add some wit and lightness to the party. It would be great to find out if Elizabeth Bennet and Mr Darcy were based on real people too!
• Orson Welles would be an interesting addition if he was the age he was when he filmed The Third Man as I understand that he became quite difficult in his older age.
• Michael Ondaatje would be my final guest as I think his writing is really beautiful and it would be great to get some writing tips and advice from him!
I think that the guests would probably get on ok overall though it depends on how much of a diva Cleopatra would be and whether or not Orson Welles was drunk which he hopefully wouldn’t be!
9. What popular notion do you think the world has most wrong?
I think that there are two things that are popular notions that the world has most wrong:
The first one is the worship of celebrity, This increases the conspicuous consumption and covetousness of luxury goods ‘knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing’ as my dear mother would say which does not a happy life lead.
The second one would be conforming to a narrow acceptance of an ideal body shape that affects everyone but the young in particular increasing eating disorders, mental health issues and body dysmorphic disorder.
What I would call the misuse of social media can exacerbate both of the above.
10. What do people most misunderstand about you?
I can be quite a guarded person initially towards people that I don’t know that well (unless they are close friends and family). So some people may think that I’m cold, aloof and distant but that’s just me being a bit wary! When I get to know people then the barriers come down and then people get to know that I am loyal, trustworthy, helpful and kind. That is the real me.